Lib Dem MEP joins Conservatives


When challenged as to why their parliamentary party, despite their rhetoric, had no BME members, Lib Dems would always point to the sole elected parliamentarian in the European Parliament, Sajjad Karim. They would also fall over themselves to stress how wonderful he was and how lucky they were to have him in their ranks.

Well, Sajjad becomes the first senior Lib Dem to join David Cameron's Conservatives.

Said Sajjad:

Two years ago David Cameron described himself as a Liberal Conservative and
that's very much how I see myself. But I needed to be convinced that he could
change his party and now I am. David Cameron's recent speech on immigration was
incredibly impressive - sensible, rational and positive. It persuaded me that he
is a leader who has changed his party and will change this country. I'm afraid
that the Liberal Democrats have lost their way and are no longer a serious force
in politics. I'm here to serve the people of the North West and I think I can
only do that now as a Conservative. I'm sure I will not be the last politician
to reach the same conclusion. It's David Cameron and the Conservatives who are
now setting the political agenda in Britain. Only the Conservatives are capable
of putting right Labour's continued failure.


Locally, Mash Joy joined us from Haringey Lib Dems and several others are expected to follow his lead.

Hunter welcomes Sajjad and Mash into the fold.

If you're a liberal and value democracy, you should be in Cameron's Conservatives...

UPDATE: The Chairman of the Ethnic Minority Lib Dems, Cllr. Meral Ece, has just left the following comment on Lib Dem Voice:

I am extremely saddened by this news. Saj was a very effective MEP, and the only BME elected parliamentarian in the Liberal Democrats.I believe he was the only incumbant MEP to come in second position, and unfortunately, the only ethnic minority.
If anyone is in any doubt- we have a crisis in our continuing democratic deficit in this area.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

worth pointing out that there were two incumbent MEPs on the north west list, and they *were* selected 1 and 2, so to suggest that he failed to get reselected despite being an incumbent is a bit misleading (he was also 2 on the list when he was elected)

Mash Joy said...

Thank you for the welcoming praise. I appreciate it. I now hear that another local Lib Dem wants to defect to the Tories and another to Labour. They are still considering. These people seem to all come from Bounds Green ward or neighbouring wards.

Why is it that since the local election, everyone is moving from the Lib Dems in Haringey? It is beyond me LOL