James' 30th


Friday was doctor James' 30th birthday and about 18 of us headed to Tavistock Street to a little Turkish restaurant, called Sofa, to celebrate. Arrived in town a little early, so we decided to pop into two galleries which I hadn't visited for a while. First was the Photographers' Gallery - lots of work going on, so only the shop was open. I first went there about 10 years ago on a school visit and we saw a really excellent exhibition on Maya Angelou. Then off to National Portrait Gallery. Hadn't been there since they had an exhibition on Elizabeth Taylor who was, incidentally, born in Highgate! Their current theme, on the ground floor, is on the slave trade; the first picture that struck me was of bloody Diane Abbott! Was she a slave? No! Did she abolish slavery? No! In fact, it was William Wilberforce, a Tory, who worked hard to abolish it. Thank goodness we didn't pay anything to get in, otherwise I would have demanded a refund! Diane Abbott? P-L-E-A-S-E!

We were pleased to meet Tony's new girlfriend (at last- in both senses!)- Michelle seemed very charming. Well done, mate!

James drank a little too much and I was tired, so we declined an offer to go to G.A.Y. Used to go there a lot, but I'm 26 now...

Anyway, a good night was had by all!

2 comments:

Newmania said...

Sounds fun Justin . Last time I met him he was ejecting me from your flat I think. I hope you were not drinking !

Justin Hinchcliffe said...

Had a few. Yes, he did, but you were being naughty!!!