Tonight's Full Council - where did Cllr. Matt disappear to?

Another fairly boring Full Council meeting this evening. Top marks to the Lib Dems’ Richard Wilson (Stroud Green). He made a passionate maiden speech about how awful Labour is at running the Social Services Department and highlighted threatened cuts to local residents. Interesting to see that Ray Dodds (Lab, Bruce Grove) attacked Livingstone over fare hikes and the unfairness of the Oyster Card for those on low-incomes. I am sure Ray, a neighbour, read my press release before he left home this evening. It’s funny how Labour councillors hate Transport for London (TfL) – Livingstone’s ‘baby’, isn't it?

Dear Emma proposed a motion to limit air travel and instead encourage train travel. I arrived at the Civic Centre a few minutes late and the agendas ran out, so I don’t have the exact text of the motion. Not a single mention from Emma about the Mayor’s new gas-guzzling car…

Anyway, the real question is: where did the radiant-looking Cllr. Matt Davies disappear to at "half time"? He missed a number of really close votes. Perhaps he went off to watch a football match on the Leader’s £5,000 Plasma TV in the Labour Group Office?

9 comments:

Matt said...

That was the real question??

No mystery - if you'd been there at the start, you would have heard me declaring a prejudicial interest in Emma's motion, as I currently work for Transport 2000. That meant that I had to leave the chamber at about 9pm when that motion started.

And I'm surprised I was looking "radiant"... I was off work sick yesterday and had pretty much dragged myself from my sick bed to get to the meeting... and that's where I dragged myself when I had to leave the chamber, rather than waiting to see if the next motion was reached.

And before I get a rush of sympathy from everyone, yes I'm much better and on my way to work today!

Justin Hinchcliffe said...

Apologies, Matt. Even with a bad cold, you still looked radiant (take it as a compliment!). Glad to hear you're feeling better now.

Matt said...

I will, thank you.

Actually, it wasn't just the pesky cold - without going into any detail, going forward I would recommend against eating suspect fast food while in Cardiff.

Justin Hinchcliffe said...

Did you not look in Good Food Guide for some decent grub?

Anonymous said...

Oh dear! Justin, we all know that Haringey Council meetings are hardly replete with aesthetically-pleasing objects. But even given that rather gloomy background, it is going a little too far to call poor little Cllr Davies 'radient-looking'.

Anonymous said...

sorry, that should read 'radiant-looking'

Anonymous said...

sorry, that should read 'radiant-looking'

Matt said...

By the way, from memory (when my Lib Dem colleague first raised the question of the flash new tv for the council leader's office) the cost was nearer a "mere" £2500, I think.

Which they seemed to think was reasonable and gave some very flippant answers to questions about the waste of taxpayers money.

One of the reasons they lost another 11 seats to us in May? Definitely... one of many!

Justin Hinchcliffe said...

It's still a lot of money. Is it still locked up in the Leader's office? I seem to recall that my colleague Peter Forrest put a press release supporting Adje. Needless to say, I hit the roof!