Europhile? I am - according to the BOO people

Various people have been accusing me of being a "Europhile" because I do not support BOO (the 'Better Off Out' campaign group). I don't think the economic climate is right for us to join the Euro, am firmly opposed to the sloppy EU Constitution and support David Cameron's pledge to withdraw from the European Social Charter and Human Rights Act.

I still think it's a bad move to leave our friends in the European People's Party (EPP) grouping to sit with the unknown or, worse still, social conservatives from eastern European countries who still think Queen Victoria is on the throne.

I'm a moderate Euro-sceptic, but BOO's supporters can only see things in black and white. Shades of grey don't exist for them. Doesn't all this make me a moderate Euro-sceptic? But in the eyes of BOO supporters, I'm a Europhile who should be hanged in the Tower for high treason - or at the very least be kicked out of the Conservative Party.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

BOO Who?

Serf said...

Justin

As a completely BOO eurosceptic, I believe that we are achieving nothing by sitting with the EPP, simply because they represent something which goes completely against what our party believes in. Namely European Federalism.

Where we agree with them, there is nothing to stop us from working together with them, even if we do sit elsewhere.

With all due respect to your horror of us sitting with Polish Catholics, with dodgy views on social issues, there is a big difference.

The view of our partners on homosexuality will have no impact on our country, and is largely irrelevant in the EU framework. The EPP views on ever closer union however, directly impact on our lives.

JT said...

Justin, I think you are being slightly unfair on many supporters of the Better Off Out campaign.

I am a Conservative party member in adjacent Islington. I don't see things in black and white, but have always been sceptical about the European project, as you are. Over the past two years as my understanding deepened, I reached a point where I thought that the balance of advantage had swung decisively against membership and that it was time to leave.

You should read The Great Deception as a first class history of the organisation, which I think will alter your views on this matter. Unless of course you are scared by what you will uncover...!